Sunday, June 24, 2007

Kalighat: Mother's First Love


Today I shed my first tears; tears of joy, comfort, love, and worries. Before having breakfast at the Mother House I visited Mother’s Tomb. It was so peaceful and consoling as I prayed before Mother; bowing and pressing my forehead to her tomb. Before me was the great soul of God’s love revealed through an individual that was nothing but love. I was touched and moved by the fruits of her love and asked to only be an imitation of God’s love as she was to the world. Thinking of my beloved ones in the States, God’s mission before me, and the fruits of Mother’s work I was moved to tears. I’m sure it looked rather ridiculous to the novest, and MC sisters that were in the room but… what the heck, I couldn’t help but cry. Here before me was my inspiration and example of how to Love as God loved. Today, I worked at Kalighat, also known as Mother’s First Love and I soon understood why. When I arrived I made went straight to work. All but 2 of the volunteers went and helped with laundry but I wanted to be with the men. So I walked around, until I felt a pull to stop and give some attention. As I began to walk down the row of 50 men sick and dying the very first man stopped me and smiled, he than rubbed his face and so I asked if he needed a shaving. Surly enough he did. Here I was before this man, absolutely terrified with this razor and soap/brush (you have to remember, I’m the lazy one in the States that uses a electronic razor). I was shaving him slowly and not pressing hard to make sure I didn’t cut him. And we both knew I was terrified in doing so… and had a chuckle. But then I got more comfortable after a couple of laughs and gave him a clean shaved.
I than walked over to a man and sat beside him, he smiled and held my hands. We started talking, I didn’t understand a single word he said but I believed we spoke of the world around us. I spoke to him about love in English and he spoke to me about his life experience in Bangali. He pointed at himself while talking and then here and there and shook his head then looked at me and smiled and then did a gesture to reveal that he was blessed now. I sat for several minutes and just listened. I than began to sing and his face brighten up immediately. He than sang a song in Bangali and I was so soothed by his voice. He taught me the lyrics as I mimicked it (I totally forgot it now) but at the time it made him laugh and smile while he was teaching me this song in Bangali.
I was called over by a young man (25 years), there was nothing but skin and bones. I honestly have never met someone in my life as skinny as he was. I was sure he was going to die at any moment. He could barely lift his arm but enough to reach towards me and hold on to mine… “Massage” he said. And I smiled as I began to rub and massage his arms and head. His body I felt no muscle… I was massage his skin on bones and couldn’t think about anything besides God is watching over him for him to be still alive and smiling back at me. Truly is he God’s beloved one. His back was nothing more then skin on bones, I could feel every part of his spine and shoulder blades. There was a wonderful man with his bed over in the corner (number 47) his name is Bishnu. Never have I met someone with such a great character. We just laughed and goofed around. It started with him handing me a bottle of his urine to be emptied and coming back he just wanted me to sit with him. We talked about Jesus. He told me Jesus loves me because “You are a good man, very good man” (were his words exactly). Over and over he said to me as he held my hands “you are a very good man”. And then he pointed to the crucifix hanging on the was and said “Jesus, very good man”. Bishnu rubbed my head and face and with his hand behind my neck pulled me close to him (forehead to forehead) as he built tears in his eyes. He took one of my hands with two hands and held it to his forehead and than kissed it. Numerous times did he do this throughout our conversation. I returned his love by letting him know that God loves him immensely and so do I. I held him close and as we hugged, he patted my back and held me closer. We than shared some very fun moments. Counting to 100 in English, than doing it again and racing each other. Then we said the ABCs and said some anatomy parts, and I taught him some new anatomy parts (shoulders, back, and arms). Lunch came around and there were many men that were too weak to sit up or feed themselves. I sat with a man that was unable to talk or sit up by him self and help feed him. After lunch I had to change him. Which was a rather difficult task for me. First day… and oh was I in for a treat. He had peed on his mattress and needed changing. He needed to be wiped and it was rather difficult because he was actually going again while I was wiping him. After all this I had change and clean him. Honestly… I cannot say that it was my will to do this. By the grace of God did I find the strength to get over myself and let God’s love be worked through me. Still now I can’t believe or can imagine myself doing such deeds but it truly brought satisfaction when I was able to become a vessel for God to work through me. Anyways, I have orientation tomorrow (for I still haven’t gone) but today was quiet the experience. I really want to work at Kalighat for the remaining period of my stay here in Kolkata, along with Daya Dan. I walked around town today and saw numerous things that amazed me. There was a huge field by Park St full of goats, cows, and farm animals gazing (in the middle of the city). Cows on the streets and monkeys in the trees were quiet the site. I also saw a fatty cockroach this morning and a gecko along the wall of my hotel (it was pretty cool). I walked around New Market and ended buying a light Indian Tshirt. I honestly brought too many shirts and pants and … none of which I really want to wear here. So I’m donating a lot to the MC. Along with my bed sheets and many meds and supplies. Well, I must be on my way, adoration at the mother house is in a couple of minutes. Can’t miss.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow tuan, this IS a very touching but yet a bit of humor in it story. It must feel wonderful to feel that you can make a difference in the world, and the benefits that come towards this whole trip. & the people that you have met/helped, seem very sweet. Truely you are blessed! I'm proud to know that your my cousin and yet i'm very inspired by everything that you do, here in india and back home. You make me wanna get closer to God in another way. Also next month i'll be attending this thing called "lakewood mission" where i'll do community service for a week, and its a catholic base thing to, so i'm pretty stoaked about that. But Nothing like a random act of kindness to make the world a better place. And yes i can totally agree with the indian man who i think is 47...you are a "very good man."

Tuan Nguyen said...

Every act of kindness, love, and charity is making the world a better place and spreading the gospel. So do everything with great love.

Anonymous said...

anh tuan. thats so amazing u got to see mother theresa tomb. aahhh what a sight that must have been. so lately at home we havent had a ping. he ran away a couple days ago and parents didnt bother looking for him cus it was to much of a hassle i guess. idk. but i love you anh tuan.